How much will an interior designer cost me?
An interior designer will help you save money. The price varies depending on the type and size of the project you want to embark on. The following cost guide shows how much an interior designer will likely cost you in South Africa.
1. Price of interior design for different rooms
Some interior designers will look at the project as a whole and charge you a flat rate for the project.
|Project type||Cost range||Average cost|
|Living room||R 6700- R 18 500||R 12 600|
|Dining Room||R 5200- R 11 500||R 6 350|
|Bedroom||R 5800- R 17 000||R 11 400|
|Kitchen||R 6 700- R 20 000||R 13 350|
|Home office||R 5 200- R 14 000||R 9 600|
|Entry/Hall||R 4500- R 8 200||R 6 350|
|Bath||R 6 700- R 18 500||R 12 600|
|Patio/Deck||R 4 500- R 18 500||R 11 500|
|Nursery||R 5 200- R 14 000||R 9 600|
Below are more detailed information about the pricing structure.
2. Hourly rates based on the interior designer experience
Some interior designers will choose to charge you per hour, especially if the project is small and needs just a general consult on colours, fabrics or minor renovations.
Junior interior designer (1-3 years of experience)
- 1 year: R200 per hour
- 2 years: R350 per hour
- 3 years: R400 per hour
Mid-level interior designer (4-10 years of experience)
- 4-5 years: R400 per hour
- 6-7 years: R550 per hour
- 8-10 years: R600 per hour
Senior interior designer (10+ years of experience)
- 10-15 years: R700 per hour
- 15 years +: R800 per hour
3. Square metre rates based on type of designs
You can also be charged a certain price per square metre if you are embarking on a project requiring layout or space planning.
Concept Design & Development
- mood boards/sample boards: R 10/sqm
- 3D sketch-up drawing: R 20/sqm
- 3D photo-realistic perspective views: R 50/sqm
2D drawings (Plans/Elevations)
- space Plans, floor Finishes, lighting layouts: R 20/sqm
- elevations & sections through: R 12/sqm
- proposed mechanical layouts R 10/sqm
- bill of quantities/spec document: R 40/sqm
- project management: R 250/sqm
- per detail: R 1 500
4. Percentage fee on total contract value
The commission will be charged on a percentage of the total cost of the overall project.
Small to medium projects (last 6 months or less)
- up to R 500 000: 9.5%
- R 500 000 - R 1 million: 9%
- R 1 million- R 2 million: 8.5%
Medium to large projects (6 months - 12 months)
- R 2 million - R 5 million: 8%
- R 5 million - R 8 million: 7%
- R 8 million - R 10 million : 6%
Large to huge projects (12 months +)
- R 10 million - R 15 million: 5%
- R 15 million- R 20 million: 4%
- Projects over R 20 million: 2%
Similar to comission is cost-plus pricing where you will pay for the net value of the materials supplied to you by the interior designer and an agreed-upon percentage markup on the net cost.
Note: An interior designer will also look at your budget and let you know what you can create with your pocket funds.
- How much does an architect cost in South Africa?
- Which documents do you need for building plans approval?
- 5 reasons why you should hire an architect for remodelling
- How much does it cost to build a house in South Africa?