Which documents do you need for building plans approval?
What kind of forms and documents do you need for the building plans submission?
- Building plans approval application: four to eight copies to be circulated among the municipality departments, depending on the size and nature of the proposal.
- South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) registration confirmation form. In some instances also the SACAP registration certificate.
- Power of Attorney for your architect or draughtsman to submit your building plans for you.
- SANS 10400 forms: These apply when special expertise is employed, such as mechanical, structural, and civil engineers
- The Surveyor General Diagram, which includes the size and boundary details of the property and an illustration showing the property
- Zoning certificate
- Title Deed: Title deeds are used as an official record of who owns the title to a property. You can get it at the financial house, where the mortgage was being held, or at the provincial Deeds Office.
- Authorization letter, applicable if the property is owned by a company/trust
- Death certificate, applicable is one of the listed owners, indicated in the Title Deeds, is deceased.
How much will all that cost me?
Town planning and Building Inspectorate are usually a free service in South Africa unless there are relaxation or rezoning needs. The costs may vary from area to area.
How long will it take for the building plans to be approved?
As with fees, timeframes may also vary from council to council, it also depends on the complexity of the plan, but if you had done everything right, you should have your building plan approved in 30 to 40 days.
How long is the building plan valid?
The building plan is valid one year after approval. If you haven’t started building in that time, you will need to resubmit to renew the plans (a small fee is usually payable). One year after approval, you will need to resubmit the plans (a small administration fee is expected).
- How to get building plan approval in South Africa?
- Do I need an architect if I want to build a house in South Africa?
- How much will an interior designer cost me?
- Top 7 interior design trends in 2021